The Christmas Nail®
A meaningful but easy project for Christmas, something to remind everyone that He is the reason for the season!
- Background graphic from "Circles and Coordinating Backgrounds" CD - Lacy edge - Christmas border
- Photo paper (or cardstock, depending on preference)
- 4 1/2" x 6" deep crimson cardstock
- 5" x 6 1/2" blank notecard
- Scrap of red ribbon
- 3 1/2" nail, sprayed with gold paint
- \Adhesive of your choice (I used Xyron's permanent adhesive)
- In your graphic software, open a 4" x 5.5" file. Copy the background graphic into this file, resizing as needed (some parts of the graphic will get cropped).
- Copy the poem below and paste into the file, lighten the background where the poem will be positioned for readability (refer to the picture).
- Print and layer on the crimson cardstock, then adhere to the blank notecard.
- Tie a bow on the nail with the red ribbon, then attach to card (I used a needle and clear quilting thread, poked a small hole, then tied the thread at the back - feel free to use another way of doing this!)
- Fold the notecard closed and glue/tape the open edges so that the threads (where you attached the nail) do not show.
The Christmas Nail®
It's Christmas time at our house
and we're putting up the tree.
I wish I could find some simple way
to remember Christ's gift to me.
Some little sign or symbol
to show friends stopping by,
The little babe was born one day
but He really came to die.
Some symbol of His nail-pierced hands,
the blood He shed for you and me.
What if I hung a simple nail
on my shining Christmas tree?
A crimson bow tied round the nail
as His blood flowed down so free,
To save each person from their sin
and redeem us for eternity.
I know it was His love for us
that held Him to the tree,
But when I see this simple nail
I know He died for me.
by John Patton, creator of the The Christmas Nail® product
Note: Thank you to Rod Hampton of www.sight-lines.com for the information as to who wrote this wonderful poem!