The fact that this card reminds my kids of the movie Frozen was not my intention. It just evolved that way. My real intention was to combine as much challenges as I could from the Dare to Get Dirty Week at SplitcoastStampers. So, I started with this card last Monday, and every day, I would incorporate one or more challenges into this card until it was finished – I could cross out 14 challenges with this one (I think this is a record for me, LOL!). Before I continue, here is a pic of the card when opened (click on the image to make it larger):
The idea for this card began with Norma’s tutorial for a Die-Cut Swing card. I loved the cards that Norma made with this technique, and I wanted to make one, too. But, my Big Shot was not cooperating – both plates are warped – so, partial die-cutting was out of the question. Norma gave a pretty detailed tutorial, with all the measurements, so I thought I can try to make a tracing file in Photoshop and import it to my Cricut/SCAl setup (similar to Silhouette). I did just that, and though the tracing file still needs some tweaking, I was at least able to have the cardbase cut.
Next, was the designing part. I knew from the start that I wanted a window where one can see both sides of it when the card is opened and closed (that’s why I chose to do a swing card or flip-flop card). I also wanted a critter looking out the window, and since both the outside and inside of the window can be seen, I needed an image to have both a front and a back. I asked my daughter to draw me a mouse (or rat) – with front and back images – and of course, she did! For the scene, I wanted to create a winter one, with snow falling down on a snow bank. For the colors, I chose violet/blue-violet/blue/blue-green/green – it’s the perfect winter colors (and of course, these are the same colors you see in Frozen); or, in Bazzill’s colors – Plum Pudding/Vineyard*/Tropical/Navajo/and leftover green cardstock from my scraps…*Vineyard is from Core-dinations.
(Note: You can click on the first picture to make it larger – see the details more clearly.) I started by spattering thinned white acrylic paint on the Plum Pudding carstock. Next, I sponged Broken China Distressed Ink on the edges of the front window panel, and also on a piece of white felt (this will become the snow bank – I’ve never sponged on felt before, and was amazed how it absorbed the color beautifully). The top of the window is decorated with a blue bow, sprigs of greenery (Martha Stewart punch), handmade white flowers and coiled Japanese paper strings. The corner of the card front is decorated similarly. I thought that a snowman would be nice to add, but I didn’t want it to be the focal point, so I used a Fiskars punch to make a tiny snowman trying to peek in (well, didn’t mean it to be Olaf, but kids say, it could be him, LOL). The “snow” on the window ledges are white glue mixed with a bit of blue acrylic paint. I went over the entire card front with a brush dipped in white acrylic paint to simulate snow. Here is a pic of the work in progress (you can click on the picture to make it larger) :
*** Getting very sleepy here, I will continue this post tomorrow!