Braided Paper Card

Posted by: Gemin General, Projects
Sep

The inspiration for this card took quite a while to gel and mesh together. It started with Karen Barber’s color challenge: use Cherry Cobbler, Calypso Coral and More Mustard – a combination that is way out of my comfort zone. I started working on it last Tuesday, but I was really struggling and couldn’t come up with a good idea. I got as far as die cutting two shapes – one in cherry and one in coral, then cut strips of mustard, and that was it!

All the things I tried to do with what I had was bleh… Then, on Friday, I saw WendyBell’s Free for All challenge of crossing strips, and that was the catalyst. Saturday morning, I woke up and suddenly got the idea of braiding the strips of paper I had. It took some experimenting before I finally came up with this card (well, it’s already Sunday, lol!). Thank you for the challenges, Karen and Wendy, because without them I wouldn’t have come up with this idea!

BTW, if you want to know how to braid using more than 3 strips, this link really helped me. I used 7 strips in my card – it’s pretty much the same process as 5 strands. Also, the strips of paper I used are 1/4″ wide then I run them through a crimper so that they would be more flexible and have texture.

Related Posts

Tags: , ,

This entry was posted on Monday, September 5th, 2011 at 3:21 pm and is filed under General, Projects. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

14 comments so far

1.  Kelly
September 8th, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Oh my goodness, Gem! I love this card!!! You do such an awesome job on all you make. Wish I had your talent and patience.

2.  Marilou
September 9th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Your card is simply stunning Gem! I love what you came up. It looks difficult, but I will take a look at the link you’ve posted and will try it out.

I think the scripture you used is perfect as well!! TFS it with us!! xoxo <3

3.  Marilou
September 9th, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Gem, that link didn’t work, so I searched through her blog until I found it: http://paperraindrops.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-01-15T10%3A48%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=7

4.  gc_admin
September 10th, 2011 at 7:29 am

Thanks for the sweet comments, Keddy and Marilou! Thank you also for telling me about the link not working, Marilou – I think I got it fixed, lol!

5.  Sheree
September 10th, 2011 at 4:56 pm

What a gorgeous card and what a fabulous idea!!! I’m going to bookmark your blog!

6.  Elayne
September 10th, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Very pretty, those colors are great.

7.  Inna
February 7th, 2012 at 6:39 am

Thanks so much for linking to my post!

Your card is totally beautiful! I love how you didn’t braid the whole thing, it looks really creative that way. :)

8.  Gaby
February 18th, 2012 at 4:20 am

What a great card. Love the braiding.

9.  Felipe
March 24th, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Hi, my name’s Felipe, i’m a Brazilian… This Braided Paper Card is so beautiful… Could you help me?

How did you make this? How did you braiding the strips of paper? Do you have a video that can help me?

This is my mail: feliperobertocosta@gmail.com

I thank you!

10.  Sara
March 9th, 2013 at 6:55 am

This is such a great idea!

11.  Penny
November 1st, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Love this card. Never thought of braiding.

12.  Pat Duvall
June 29th, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Awesome card! Never thought of braiding and WOW — what an impact!
Would love to be on your mailing list.

Would love to learn how you did this!

13.  Bitly.Com
October 8th, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Simply want to say your article is as surprising.

The clearness in your post is just cool and i can assume you are
an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated
with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please
continue the enjoyable work.

14.  Gwenn Padiong
January 27th, 2016 at 6:46 am

Localizado en una isla privada en la reserva de Valdecañas, justo a 4 km de El Gordo, la ciudad de Talavera está a 55 km desde el hotel y Madrid a 180 km de hotel tiene 80 habitaciones. Kia opera en España a través de Kia Motors Iberia, S.L. y está realizando una campaña de comunicación (enero de 2010) con el lema: Algún día todos los coches tendrán 7 años de garantía”. Te explicamos lo que incluye Kia en la página web sobre esta garantía y te comentamos lo más llamativo. Si eres comprador de un coche Kia de ocasión, y el vendedor te vende” esta garantía, pídele los términos escritos de la misma, y que te muestre que ha cumplido con todo el mantenimiento oficial de la casa.